Sunday, February 14, 2016

February Week 2 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture: Matt 11: 28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Tuesday 2/9
John 8:2 "And early in the morning he came again into the temple..."  I am amazed at how many times it says that Christ got up early and went out to a solitary place or to the temple to pray or otherwise.  He went often and sought Heavenly Father.  How more can I seek my Father-the best time is in the morning, first thing.
John 8:10-11 "...Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?  She said, No man, Lord.  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."  When I sin and fall short, Christ does not condemn me or say that there is no way back.  Through Christ there is always hope, always a way back to God.  I can do the same for others.  I should always be hopeful and try to overcome my shortcomings and be forgiving and hopeful of others shortcomings.
John 8:12 "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."  Christ invites all to follow him and he will enable and empower/fill with light.  That means service to others and to Heavenly Father, prayer, repentance (using the Atonement), inviting others to know of the gospel.  How better can I follow/be a disciple of Christ?   31-32 "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  Exercising faith in Christ and doing his teachings helps me to see what is true/most important/what really matters.

Wednesday 2/10
John 9:39 "And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind." What does 'see not' mean? It could mean those who have sin (see 1 Timothy 1:25, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"), or are ignorant or haven't been taught the gospel, or those who have to use faith (don't see at first).  Those who 'see' could be those who have the gospel, or are learned, or who are no longer exercising faith etc...  I really like this idea of always exercising faith (not seeing at first), which helps me to look to Christ.  Only through him can I really see.   v.41 "If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth."  In one way this verse means that having a knowledge of the gospel and what is right and wrong brings about sin.  Another way, pride is 'seeing' where humility is 'blindness' and brings about repentance and forgiveness of sins.

Thursday 2/11
John 10:1-21 Parable of the Good Shepherd. v.9 "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."  Only 'through' Christ can I be saved. v.10 "...I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."  Christ was resurrected so that all might live again (ie 'have life') and the he made it possible that I 'might' have an abundant life.  It is my choice completely.  The Atonement enables me to overcome sin and weakness, to experience joy and peace, to be supported in the difficulties of life, to hope for a better one, to make a change of heart and become better, to have and keep a supportive group (family), to have the presence of God to guide my life (Holy Ghost).  It makes my life worth living and being excited about-an abundant life.  I love my Savior Jesus Christ.  I love learning about him and desiring to follow after him.  I want this abundant life more in my life.  v.11 "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."  Christ has the greatest love to have died for me and for all people.  A good shepherd walks in front of his sheep-he leads and guides them if they let him.  How can I better let the Lord guide my life.  The key is allowing/letting/desiring to follow him with the knowledge and trust that he will lead me to better places, greener pastures.  This is sure.  It takes my faith in him and action in following and doing what he does.

Friday 2/12
Matt 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." There is a lot of symbolism with a yoke.  It requires two people in order to function properly to pull a load.  Christ's yoke is easier to pull than mine because it is powered by the enabling power of the Atonement.  Christ doesn't have the sins and burdens that I do and so he is able to help me bear it.  I think the key here is that only with Christ can I overcome the trials, weaknesses, shortcomings, sin in my life.  No other avenue offers a way for this to occur. In order to use the Atonement, I have to first learn of Christ.  Christ has invited all to do this.

Saturday 2/13
Luke 10:25-37 Parable of the Good Samaritan v.27 "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." The greatest commandment is to put the Lord first in my life.  That should be the most important and to make sure that I do that first and foremost.  The second is to love my neighbor (all people I come in contact with) as I would myself.  This requires being compassionate with  myself and my shortcomings, being ok with who I am and knowing my value is being absolute, not changing.  If I focus on loving God first, it will help me to love myself and following my neighbour. v.33 "But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him."  How can I have more compassion in my life? Help can I see others in need and be able to help them?

Sunday 2/14
Luke 10:38-42 "...Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, doest thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.  And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou are careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Interesting-how do I get cumbered with the things of the day to forget to include the things of God in my life?  It is so easy to do.  Simplify, simplify, simplify! All things should be in a balance.
Luke 11:28 "...blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."  It is more important to keep the commandments than any other thing.  Blessings only come through obedience to the commandment on which it is predicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment