Sunday, February 21, 2016

February Week 3 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture: Luke 14:11  'For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

Monday 2/15
Luke 12:8-9 "...Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth men before men shall be denies before the angels of God."  The more that I make Christ a part of my life, not just using the Atonement each day, but helping others to know of Christ through my actions and words is essential.
Luke 12:21 "So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."  It is not bad to be rich; it is bad to be selfish and greedy.  Do I give freely of my goods and time?  Where is the line drawn between not helping someone because I don't have enough and because I have judged them to be not suited for my assistance?
Luke 12:46 JST "If the good man of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through and the loss of his goods...be ye therefore ready also; for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not."  The coming of Christ is not known, but it is important to be ready and prepared for when he does come.  How can I better prepare physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, etc...?

Tuesday 2/16
Luke 13:8-9 "And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down."  Christ is the worker who works to save the barren fig tree.  He asks for mercy so that the tree will have more time to bear good fruit.  He fertilizes and waters and nourishes it and gives it time.  The Atonement of Christ shows the mercy of the Lord and that the gospel provides the best possible means for me to bear good fruit.
Luke 13:10-17 Jesus heals a woman on the Sabbath Day.  There are so many references of Christ healing on the Sabbath Day.  The Sabbath Day should be a day of healing.  How can this day be a day of healing for me?  Sacrament, physical rest, visiting others to provide emotional healing, spiritual help, mental rest.  Focus to asking question, do the activities I do provide some sort of healing to myself and/or to others?

Wednesday 2/17
Luke 14:11 "For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."  It seems like when I am prideful, when I am putting myself up and am thinking that I am hot stuff and not seeking to understand and empathize with others, I don't have any room for God (the source of all power and good) or for others.  The power comes from within, which really isn't power because I really don't have the power.  It only comes from God. When I am humble, when I am looking to God for guidance and support or to others on how I can understand and support or learn from them, then there is room for them to help me, for my learning to increase and for the power of God to work in my life.  Progression is a divine process, created by God.  One key to life is to always seek that learning and understanding, calling upon the Holy Ghost and seeking wisdom from others.

Thursday 2/18
Luke 14:33 "...whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple"  What type of sacrifice is Christ asking me to make here? To follow him and do what he did.  That doesn't seem too different from the way I want to live my life...to love others and serve them. D&C 103:27-28 "Let no man be afraid to lay down his life for my sake; for whoso layeth down his life for my sake shall find it again.  And whoso is not willing to lay down his life for my sake is not my disciple."  I really like this related scripture; it describes the willingness or desire to sacrifice.  It is important to have the desire to love and serve others and be willing to sacrifice for them in wisdom if needed.  Not all sacrifices will be required of me like what was required of Christ to fulfill the Atonement, but sacrifice will be required.  If I am already trying to live as he did then it shouldn't be as hard of a sacrifice as if I'm not already trying to live as he did.

Friday 2/19
Matthew 18:12-13 "How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, surely I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray."  This to me shows the worth of souls.  Sometimes I haven't understood this but really lost sheep (me) has had fear, doubt, bad experiences, and suffered that the good sheep don't have to experience so it is fair and just when the Master is happy over the lost sheep.  Positive reinforcement helps those who are struggling to change.  The Lord is so happy with me when I change and follow after him.
Luke 15:7 "...joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance."  I like the sound of this.  It feels like that is a major reason to be on the earth--to change and become better.  There is joy in heaven.  I think that there is joy on earth from loved ones when I repent and change for the better, too.  I wonder also if repentance means progression...?

Saturday 2/20
Luke 15:11-32 'Prodigal Son' Process of Repentance v.13 "...wasted his substance with riotous living." 1) sin;  v.16 "...he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him." 2) consequences of sin; 3) v.17-18 "...when he came to himself...I will arise and go to my father...I have sinned against heaven...and am no more worthy to be called thy son."  3) humility/asking for forgiveness; v. 21 "...Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son." 4) Confession; v.20 "...But when he was a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him." 5) Encouragement (love)/power to change; v.22-24 "bring forth the best robe...and bring hither the fatted calf...for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found..." 6) Forgiveness/joy/renewed strength

v.31-32 "Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.  It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found."  How important it is to be happy for those who repent and change their lives, to forgive and encourage them to continue in their repentance.  It is better to not sin than to sin and come back but either way, the Lord welcomes back all who come unto him.  How can I do a better job at this?  Pray for charity, look at others and myself the way that God looks at me...with great hope and encouragement and when I do what is right, great blessings.  Elder Holland gave a talk about this--reread about it.

Sunday 2/21
Luke 16:10 "He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much; and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much." Little things lead to big things.  I need to make sure that the small things in my life are set in order and are going to lead me toward God: my thoughts, words, and actions.  It begins with desires which lead to thoughts, that turn into words and ultimately my actions.  Do I desire to love God and serve him?  Do I think about him and his desires for me or what he would do in my situation? Do I pray to him and include him in my councils of my life and assistance to others? Do I speak kindly of others and of myself? Do I serve others to the very best that I know how? It starts with the little things.

Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.  Ye cannot serve God and mammon."  I have noticed lately how easy it is to be attracted to what the world offers...acceptance with the clothes I wear, the car I drive, the friends that I have, the vacations that I have gone on and things that I have done with my life, my education, the media (movies and music) I expose myself to, the social things I do, the activities that I do, and how I use my weekends.  God offers something better-peace and joy in this life and eternal life in the world to come through following his commandments.  These are things that all people seek through what the world offers but don't find it.  When I care more what others think of me than what God thinks of me I need to re-evaluate on where I am in serving God or mammon.

Luke 16:15 "...God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God." I really like this, that God knows how I feel about him and what my desires are.  Are my desires focused on returning back to him with my family or on being accepted by the world?  It is interesting that most of what the world offers doesn't really help me to want to serve others or strengthen my family and be selfless in my service to others.  It is about me, myself, and I.  It is about my own gain than it is about others.  How can I recognize when I am being attracted to worldy (temporary) desires?  Constant work to serve and love God (prayer, scripture study, service to others each day).

No comments:

Post a Comment