Monday, February 1, 2016

January Week 4 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture:
Matt 18:3-5 "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
"Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
"And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me."

Monday 1/25
Matt 17:19-20 "Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible for you." Faith is so powerful.  A mustard seed is so small yet the tree that it can turn into is large and strong.  The potential of the mustard seed is tremendous.  Faith starts very small and grows.  Interesting how Jesus says that only a little is needed to do great things.  Self-evaluation-what fear and doubts keep me from having faith and trusting in God?  The promise of the Savior is that nothing shall be impossible for you.  How can I increase my faith each day?  Start by putting the Lord first in my life.
Mark 9:23 "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.  And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."  An admonition from the Savior to have faith and a man's plea to God to rid him of his fear/doubt.  It is visible to see when someone believes and when someone doesn't believe.  They show by their actions.  The Savior says that with faith all things are possible.  We can have a little bit of faith but need a little help to increase that faith and remove the doubt/fear from our hearts.  It is a plea to God to rid one of those things that rob faith.  It is looking to Christ.  I think of the general conference talk by Elder Holland about this.  When I feel lacking somewhat in faith or I have fear and doubts, I should immediately pray to God for deliverance and increased perspective.

Tuesday 1/26
Matt 18:2 "Except ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."  Little children are clean and pure and without guile.  Conversion is total committment to something.  What am I totally committed to?  Am I totally committed to the gospel? To other activities or interests in my life?
Matt 18:3 "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven."  What does it mean to truly be humble?  In one way, I think it means to know your own value, yet know of your own weakness and who to look to for deliverance.  When I am humble, I am willing to listen, to receive instruction and have the desire to apply what is learned in my life.  I am not above it.  One who listens and applies and strives to become better progresses faster and better and to me would be a lot further along when arriving in heaven than one who doesn't.

Wednesday 1/27
Matt 18:11 JST "For the Son of man is come to save that which is lost, and to call sinners to repentance; but these little ones have no need of repentance, and I will save them."  The Savior came not only for the Atonement but to invite all to change (repent to me is the opportunity to change).  I haven't thought of that, but through his teachings and by his example he did invite all to repent.  I love the mercy of God-little children don't have sin and are already saved.
Matt 18:15 "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother."  I love this!  Communication!  Being open about how I feel and letting that person know who said something or did something or whatever that I perceived against me-I should talk to that person and try to reconcile.  It is better that way-straight to the source.
Matt 18:21-22 "How oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?...Until seventy times seven!"  Forgiving others is a commandment, no matter how many times they mess up and fail.  I think most times people don't intentionally hurt others.  Some do and it is wise to leave that situation but by and large Jesus taught that we should give people the benefit.  How can I remember this and not be hurt in the moment?  Put myself in their situation...?

Thursday 1/28
Mark 9:44 JST "Therefore, let every man stand or fall, by himself, and not for another; or not trusting another."  I had always not understood this passage of scripture that says that if thy eye offend thee to pluck it out.  JST helps to clarify it more with this scripture saying that every man has his own agency and it is not another that makes one to sin.  Each person by his/her own actions will be saved or not.  Circumstances are not excuses though I think that God is merciful and looketh on the heart to judge as well.  However, it does say that friends/family and others can influence us, so it is important to surround oneself with good influences.  Do I surround myself with good influences?
Mark 9:50 "Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another."  If I want others to see the good of living the gospel then I need to live the gospel and share it with them.  The good example is key here.  Followers of Christ are the salt to season the earth if they are living the way that Christ would live.  "Have salt in yourselves"-live the gospel and the Holy Ghost and light of Christ will be with you and "have peace one with another"-have charity for others, serve them.  How can I increase my love for others...serve them.

Friday 1/29
Matt 18:33 "Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?"  Because of the mercy of Jesus Christ in performing the Atonement, a requirement if I want to be forgiven is to also forgive others.  How can I be forgiven if I don't have the attitude of being able to forgive others?!
Luke 9:62 "...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."  Thoughts-looking back is longing for what the world is offering as opposed to what God is asking me to do.  If my heart is not in it or if I am not focused then I won't be successful in my purpose.  Do I ever look back, long for the excitement or lack of responsibility from not being active in the gospel?  It would be so much easier but the way of the Lord is service and responsibility and the consequences are becoming like God and returning to enjoy living with him because I will be like him.

Sunday 1/31
Elder David A. Bednar Therefore They Hushed Their Fears "'But Alma went forth and stood among them, and exhorted them that they should not be frightened, but ... should remember the Lord their God and he would deliver them.  Therefore they hushed their fears.'  Notice Alma did not hush the people's fears.  Rather, Alma counseled the believers to remember the Lord and the deliverance only He could bestow.  And knowledge of the Savior's protecting watchcare enabled the people to hush their own fears.  Correct knowledge of and faith in the Lord empower us to hush our fears because Jesus Christ is the only source of enduring peace.  He declared, "Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me."  The true source of peace is Jesus Christ!  Learn of me-pray, study the scriptures, sing hymns, talk to others/listen to their experiences; listen to my words-it takes a desire to not just hear, but to listen and understand...pondering the words, being open to it and having the Holy Ghost with me to guide me and touch my heart; walk in the meekness of my Spirit-acting on the promptings of the Holy Ghost, trusting that he knows best and will guide and direct in the best way possible.   The blessing is peace.  The lack of peace comes from the adversary.  Doing this things will bring that peace into my life more.  How can I improve upon what I am doing to have more lasting peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment