Thursday, April 14, 2016

April Week 1 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture:

Monday 4/4
John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."  What does it mean to know God?...when I know someone, really know them I have an appreciation and understanding for them.  I know if their strengths and weaknesses and their motivations.  Most above all, I have a love for them.  To know God to me is to love him and really understand him and ulitmately become like him.  God wants me to become like him and it is only through Jesus that that is possible.  That is why it is so important to come to know the Savior as he provides the way to be able to come to know the Father.
Matt 26:41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." What does it mean to watch? To be observant but I think mean more so to ponder and apply and remember the words of Christ and learn from the experience.  Prayer is powerful and it takes consistent, focused, diligent effort to perform.  Also, it is a reminder of how the body tends to be lazy and self-discipline is important to seek.  The things of God don't come easily and need to be worked for.
Matt 26:42 "O My Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done."  I don't think the Savior had realized the weight/burden of the suffering that he would experience.  Nor can I comprehend it but the submissiveness, love, respect of the Son to the Father.  I think he gathered additional strength for knowing that Heavenly Father wanted this, not that the Savior had to suffer but that this act would allow for as many of his children to return to his presence as so desired.  How can I follow the Savior and be more submissive to my Father in Heaven?

Tuesday 4/5
President Henry B. Eyring Prophecy and Personal Revelation
"In general conference twice a year, we are blessed with the opportunity to hear the word of the Lord for us from His servants.  That is a privilege beyond price.  But the value of that opportunity depends on whether we receive the words under the influence of the same Spirit by which they were given to those servants.  Just as they receive guidance from heaven, so must we.  And that requires of us the same spiritual effort...if you want to get revelation, do your homework."  President Monson said the following: "I encourage you to read the talks once again and to ponder the messages contained therein.  I have found in my own life that I gain even more from these inspired sermons when I study them in greater depth."  I need to make a goal of reading and studying (marking up) the may edition of the Ensign to seek to know what the Lord wants for me and to receive the answers to my questions in life.  I almost want to download all of the talks and listen to at least one each day.  What more can I do?  How can I desire to do this more?

Wednesday 4/6
Luke 22:44 "And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and he sweat as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground."  How can I come to better understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ?  It is the most important event of this world.  Bruce R. McConkie The Purifying Power of Gethsemane "We know that in some way, incomprehensible to us, his suffering satisfied the demands of justice, ransomed penitent souls from the pains and penalties of sin, and made mercy available to those who believe in his holy name." I know that Christ suffered for me and I want to utilize the Atonement to show my appreciation and love to him.  It really is not comprehensible; I feel like I don't get how it happened or the magnitude of it all and that I easily forget.  "May I invite you to join with me in gaining a sound and sure knowledge of the Atonement."  I want to better understand the Atonement.  I want to better understand the love of the Savior for me.  I need to study more and pray more and show my faith more so that that the Lord may bless me with that knowledge and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment