Sunday, November 15, 2015

November Week 2 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture: Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths"

Monday 11/9
Elder Vern P. Stanfill Choose the Light "we might feel embarrassed, uncomfortable, or confused spiritually when we encounter a challenge to our faith.  Generally, the intensity and duration of these feelings will depend upon our reaction to them.  If we do nothing, doubt, pride, and eventually apostasy may drive us from the light."  How do I react when there is uncertainty or doubts come?  Do I immediately look to God or am I influenced by the world?  "Is it wise to place our eternal well-being in the hands of strangers?  Is it wise to claim enlightenment from those who have no light to give or who may have private agendas hidden from us?  The only hands that I really trust are the Lord's and even those who I know really love me and want the best for me.  I realize how I need to be careful in what sources I take counsel.  The internet is not the source of all righteousness or even the great and spacious building, which represents the pride of the world.  "We might feel too embarrassed to ask for help when we doubt...When we realize that the light and the comfort the Savior can extend to us are far too precious to lose to pride, then inspired Church leaders, parents, and trusted friends can help." I think of the Elder Uchtdorf saying the following; doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.  Moroni 7:13 "But behold, that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him, is inspired of God." Light will always come from God.  Light and clarity come from God; doubt and confusion do not.  Do I doubt my doubts?  Do I have doubts?  How can I turn those into faith?  Turn to God, seek him, the prayer of faith.

Tuesday 11/10
D&C 105 the early saints really struggled with giving to the poor, or giving what their substance to those in need.  I think the key here is being selfless as opposed to being selfish.  How am I doing with this?  I find I struggle at times with this.  How can I look at others without providing a critical eye?  Do I hold onto my things (stuff) and not give thanks for what the Lord has blessed me with in my life?

Wednesday 11/11
D&C 106:5 "gird up your loins, that you may be the children of light".  Video link describing what girding up your loins means .Girding up your loins means to prepare and work hard and give service.  So, to become a child of light I need to give of myself, be selfless, and do the best that I can.  D&C 107:99-100 "let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence...he that is slothful shall not be counted worthy to stand."  The Lord requires that one does their best with whatever they are entrusted.  That is all that he can ask, but he does give us the Holy Ghost to be our guide.  I think the key is diligence or I have been calling it consistency.  Am I doing the best that I can in my callings, responsibilities?  I don't have to be perfect, but am I striving to be better each day?

Thursday 11/12
Elder Dallin H. Oaks Strengthened by the Atonement of Jesus Christ "And he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities (Alma 7:12)...He is perfectly positioned to lift us and give us the strength we need to endure our afflictions.  We have only to ask."  How do I have the faith to ask and to trust that my prayers will be answered, to have hope that he will succor, uplift, heal, strengthen?  Many times I don't recognize how he has blessed me and is carrying me.  How do I increase my faith, hope, and charity?

Friday 11/13
D&C 109.  Dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple vs. 44" But thy word be fulfilled.  Help thy servants to say, with thy grace assisting them: Thy will be done, O Lord, and not ours."  This is really interesting...I have to ask the Lord to help me to say that his will be done.  Reasons: pride, selfishness  but his Grace or the Atonement helps me to have the strength to let the Lord's will be done.  The enabling power of the Atonement.  It is much more than forgiveness for sins, but it can enable one to overcome his/her weaknesses and turn to God.  He helps us turn to him.  Elder Richard G. Scott said the following "Our Heavenly Father did not put us on earth to fail but to succeed gloriously."  Another word for failure is succeeding and another word for succeeding is succeeding gloriously.

Saturday 11/14
President Thomas S. Monson Be an Example and a Light. "As we follow the example of the Savior and live as He lived and as He taught, that light will burn within us and will light the way for others."  How brightly does my light shine?  Do I live without a filter (talk openly about the gospel)?  Do others see that the gospel is a part of who I am?  When others ask what I did that weekend, do I tell them that I went to church and felt the spirit and learned a particular principle of the gospel?  Do I have meaningful conversations with others or be a good friend?  "As we make Christ the center of our lives, our fears will be replaced by the courage of our convictions."  Focusing on Christ builds faith, which in turn drives out fear.  Where there is faith, there is not fear.  To me, focusing on Christ is focusing on the Atonement.

Sunday 11/15
D&C 112:13 "...after their temptations and much tribulation, behold I, the Lord will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will HEAL them."  All have difficulties in their lives, but it is how each deals with it that determines the outcome.  The Lord wants me to turn to him (be humble).  I like this promise...that the Lord feels after us...he doesn't leave us; he is ever close.  I think of the door that has no outside doorknob and the Savior stands outside this door waiting for us to open the door from the inside.  Does healing mean, enabled by the Atonement or weak things made strong?  How can I better seek the Lord so that I can be healed?  There is so much more to the Atonement than I have ever realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment