Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Week 4 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture
D&C 101:16 "Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God."

Monday 11/2
D&C 90:24 "Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good" The word 'diligently' is used so often in the Doctrine and Covenants.  Scripture study and prayer are essential along with faith (action) and hope, which comes from the Holy Ghost as a result of using the Atonement of Christ.  An amazing promise of faithfully doing these things...ALL will turn out for the best.  How am I doing with this?  Do a searching inventory.  D&C 88:63 "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you".

Tuesday 11/3
Neill F. Marriot Yielding Our Hearts to God. "With a growing understanding of the Lord's grace and mercy, we will find that our self-willed hearts begin to crack and break in gratitude." It is so easy to do want to it My Way, and it is easier to not remember the Lord.  How can I remember him? Meaningful partaking of the sacrament, prayers of thanksgiving, turning to him in times of trial...it seems like recognizing the daily blessings of the Lord turns hearts to God.  How often do I say "thank thee for all thy many blessings?" or do I count them one by one?  A challenge to thank the Lord for five unique blessings each day.  I like this..."His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life..."

Wednesday 11/4
D&C 93:28 "He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things." I had never thought that keeping the commandments would increase one's intelligence (v. 29 "intelligence, or the light of truth"), knowledge, and/or understanding.  To increase my understanding/learning: 1) keep the commandments, 2) pray always (v.49 "pray always) to increase faith, 3) seek diligently through study (88:118 "seek ye diligently...even by study and also by faith).  From this I feel like the Lord puts greater emphasis on keeping the commandments than on seeking learning and the blessings seem to be greater.  A blessing of obedience is increased knowledge and understanding. I think this applies to all kinds of learning, not just the spiritual, but the secular.

Thursday 11/5
D&C 97:21 "for this is Zion--The Pure In Heart" What does it mean? To me one who utilizes the atonement daily in their lives. How can I do this? Blessings of temple worship: v.13-14 "a place of thanksgiving...a place of instruction...that they may be perfected in the understanding of their ministry, in theory, in principle, and in doctrine, in all things pertaining to the kingdom of God on the earth...my presence shall be there, for I will come unto it, and all the pure in heart that shall come unto it shall see God."  If I want to be instructed and be more grateful for my life and what I have, come to the temple.  Go having repented and it will be a more spiritual experience.

Friday 11/6
D&C 101:16 "be still and know that I am God."  What a strong directive.  Don't worry, the Lord is there "all flesh is in mine hands".  This is where faith, hope and charity come into play.  Do I trust God enough to let him direct my life?...to go a direction I hadn't planned on going?...or to be patient in the current situation or trial?  v.37 "care for the soul, and or the life of the soul".  That means both body and spirit.  They both need nourishment equally.

Saturday 11/7
D&C 101:81"for men ought always to pray and not to faint" It seems like this is in most chapters.  The Lord finds this vitally important for all men to do.  Prayer is an act of faith where fainting to me is shrinking/turning away or becoming overcome.  So in this instance the Lord is saying that through prayer, doubts and fear can be overcome and faith can be increased.  How can I continue to pray?  When should I pray?  Always to me is before any activity and even during and after to give thanks.  It is when life is hard and when it is easy.  Alma 37:37...counsel with the Lord and he shall direct thy paths.

Sunday 11/8
D&C 103-104  The saints really struggle with seeking their own will and not the Lord's will.  Why are people more self-centered instead of God-centered?  v.36 "All victory and glory is brought to pass unto you through your diligence, faithfulness, and prayers of faith."  Consistency is key to success.  Alma 37:6-7...it is by the small and simple things that great things are brought to pass.  How am I doing with being consistent in the small and simple things?  Do I put the Lord first in my life?  Do I do those simple things everyday that he has asked me to do?  It is so interesting again that the Lord talks about prayer.  How vitally important it is.  D&C 104:12 "every man give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him."  Prayer is one way to doing this, seeking the Lord's will and then reporting on it.  I really like this verse 103:27 "for whoso layeth down his life for my sake shall find it again."

No comments:

Post a Comment