Sunday, November 22, 2015

November Week 3 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture: D&C 121:45 "Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virture garnish thy thoughts unceasingly: then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distill upon thy soul as the dews from heaven."

Monday 11/16
D&C 117 Why do we covet? "that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?"  All things are the Lord's anyway.  Some things don't matter in the big scheme of things.  How can I not get caught up in the small details to miss the big picture?  In reading several sections, I feel that the Lord only requires that we look to him and serve him and we are blessed beyond measure.  If not, we are left to our own desires and consequences.

Tuesday 11/17
A neat little tidbit I found in an article: "Studies have shown that 85 percent of what you worry about won't happen, and the 15 percent that does happen, you will handle better than expected and will teach you amazing lessons."  It really is all about perspective.  President Hinckley said the following , "it really isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is.  It all works out.  I say that to myself every morning.  It will all work out.  Put your trust in God and move forward with faith.  He will not forsake us, he will not forsake us.  If we put our trust in him, if we pray to him, if we live worthy of his blessings, he will answer our prayers."  There is hope and light and good in this tumultuous world.  There are always reasons to smile and thank and praise God.  "No nightmare can defeat a child of God in his purpose" The Course in Miracles.  How can I put trust in God more than I do?  Follow him, pray to him, live worthily, believe that it will work out.

Wednesday 11/18
President Henry B. Eyring The Holy Ghost as Your Companion "The companionship of the Holy Ghost makes what is good more attractive and temptation less compelling."  Seeking the Holy Ghost helps me to desire to sin less and serve God more.  It seems like an eternal cycle that get smaller and smaller, which is good.  "we 'will never lack for knowledge' of the truth, 'never be in doubt or in darkness,' and our 'faith will be strong, [our] joy...full'".  What fabulous promises of what the Holy Ghost can do to an honest seeker.  How do I seek the Holy Ghost as my constant companion?  Meaningfully partaking of the sacrament, having a heart full of charity and virtue garnishing the thoughts, and having a willingness to obey.  Do I follow the Holy Ghost when it whispers to me?  Am I distracted or do I have noise around me?  I feel like having quiet time alone to think and ponder each day is essential to this.

Thursday 11/19
D&C 121:34 "There are many called, but few are chosen...because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men."  How do I keep my heart focused on God and not the world and to seek acceptance of men more than God?  What motivates me to do good?  Love of God or to be honored by men?  The priesthood (which is essentially service to others) "cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness."  vs.39 "We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion."  Beware of pride (looking toward oneself) and seek to look to others (selflessness).  I think that is a key to serving the Lord...looking to him and others, not so much myself.  What would he have me do or what can I do for others?

Friday 11/20
D&C 122:9 "...fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."  God is great; he loves his children and will stand by them.  His perfect love means that the journeys of his children are made perfectly and uniquely for each one.  D&C 123:17 "...let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."  I love this scripture; it is so full of faith, hope, and charity.  Things do work out!  The Lord is with us and will always stand by to uplift, strengthen, etc...  How can I submit?  or approach life?  Cheerfully!  I love the line "the utmost assurance", which means that it is an 100% guarantee that he will be there.

Saturday 11/21
D&C 127:4 "Let the work of my temple, and all the works which I have appointed unto you, be continued on and not cease; and let your diligence and your perseverance, and patience, and your works be redoubled, and you shall in nowise lose your reward."  I feel like this is a battle cry "Carry on! Carry On!  Carry On!".  The work of the temple must never cease.  How can I redouble my efforts to make the temple and family history work a priority?

Sunday 11/22
D&C 128:22 "shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward.  Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory!  Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad."  I love this line...why shouldn't we go on in a great cause...meaning...living the gospel and in particular doing temple work is a great cause, one that I can't fully see the blessings, but they are there.  I like the optimism of Joseph Smith.  He was writing this while in hiding to stay protected from the evil men, but he  is urging his brethren forward.  Do I encourage and urge my brethren forward?  The gospel is great news.  Do I emanate that joy and peace so that others see it?  There is so much good in the world (hard to see sometimes) but the Lord is ever with us.  I really like this optimism and enthusiasm for the work and for life.  How can I spread my enthusiasm to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment