Tuesday, November 24, 2015

November Week 3 Linds

Mon 11/16
2 Tim 3:1-7 this is a perfect description of so much of what I see and feel in society now. I especially like "ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."-->learning means nothing if it does not bring me to truth & if I do not make connections to truth. 
What is truth? 
John 14:6 Christ is truth. All truth points to Him. 
John 13:16 He will guide me to all truth. 
-make connections to Christ in my studies. Seek constantly for real truth. 

Tues 11/17
D&C 93:24 "truth is knowledge of things as they are, as they were, and as they are to come" (why are all three aspects important? All three allow us to have an eternal perspective. When I am caught on only one of those aspects, I am forgetting the rest of truth)
93:30 "all truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself" --> what does that mean? We are truth? Intelligence//truth
2 Nephi 2:28-29 love this scripture- do I see choices as black and white? Satan wants me to be miserable. That is his main goal. Joy comes from following the "Great Mediator." 

Wed 11/18
Following Worthy Mentors (Edward Eyestone)
"Do you waste the black powder on little birds?" --> service does not follow this rule. The more I give and serve, the more I have to give. The more I love, the more love I have to give. Who are the people I consider to be "little birds"? Am I giving and serving even those that society deems not worth my time?
"Everyone loves to give direction. It is fun to tell others what to to do and when and how to do it. However, taking direction is a serious challenge for most of us because pride turns direction into criticism in our minds." -->Work to accept direction more humbly from professors, parents, siblings, peers. I need all the help I can get!
-Consistent competence= eventual excellence-->"Take personal inventory in the small things we can work on in the coming months that will help break us from the spiritual, mental, and physical plateaus on which we might currently reside."

Thurs 11/19
Your Next Step (Randall K Bennett)
"Heavenly Father and our Savior are eager to bless us. After all, They ask only for one-tenth of what They bless us with and then promise that the windows of heaven will open!
"Whenever we willingly act with faith in Jesus Christ and take another step, especially an uncomfortable step requiring change or repentance, we are blessed with strength." This may refer to tithing specifically, but it reminds me more generally of the principle of compensation and sacrifice. I have seen this over and over again in my life- as I "sacrifice" a small portion of self, time, will, to the Lord, I am always amazed at how much more He gives back, sometimes in beautiful and unexpected ways and always in greater abundance than what I have initially sacrificed. How have I seen this in my life? Free graduate education. A job and career that is hard and challenging and at the same time, incredibly worth it. The peace I feel as I keep the sabbath day far surpasses the sacrifice it is to keep it holy. The people and experiences I have with people along my journey are far more meaningful than if I had chosen another path. The strength and power of visiting Grandpa every Sunday will stay with my whole life, and far surpasses the sacrifice it was to make time for him. Matthew 19:29- whatever we sacrifice now will be rewarded hundredfold. It is worth it!

Fri 11/20
Be Not Afraid, Only Believe (Dieter F. Uchtdorf)
"Satan, our adversary, wants us to fail...He slyly suggests that the doubter, the skeptic, the cynic is sophisticated and intelligent, while those who have faith in God and His miracles are naive, blind or brain-washed. Satan will advocate that it is cool to doubt spiritual gifts and the teachers of true prophets."--I see this EVERY DAY on Facebook. Yes, questions are good and allow us to think deeply about the Gospel, but faith is also a deep decision, and I see so many people confusing the two, which is obviously Satan's influence.
"...there is nothing noble or impressive about being cynical. Skepticism is easy--anyone can do it. It is the faithful life that requires moral strength, dedication, and courage. Those who hold fast to faith are far more impressive than those who give in to doubt when mysterious questions or concerns arise. But it should not surprise us that faith is not valued by society. The world has a long history of rejecting that which it does not understand."--I also see this every day. It's almost popular and trendy sometimes to be cynical, but how popular is it to express true testimony? Do we see as many people doing that? It's important for me to be aware that this is actually all Satan's influence. I can choose faith. How do I make this choice daily, and how do I encourage others to?

Sun 11/21
Keep the Commandments (Thomas S. Monson)
"The adversary is committed to our failure." Remembering this can increase my resolve in moments of weakness. No room for complacency or nonchalant commitment. Sweat the small stuff, because the small stuff matters.
Isaiah 32:17 "the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever." 
Mosiah 2:41 "blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God'---"hold out faithful to the end"
2 Ne 26:22 "leadeth them by flaxen cord"
Moses 4:4 "and he became Satan"-->Even Satan had agency and used it to rebel against God. 
"We are surrounded by persuasive voices, beguiling voices, belittling voices, sophisticated voices, and confusing voices. I might add that these are loud voices. I admonish you to turn the volume down and to be influenced instead by that still, small voice which will guide you to safety."

No comments:

Post a Comment