Sunday, December 6, 2015

December Week 1 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture: D&C 136:32-33 "Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear;
"For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.

Monday 11/30
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf It Works Wonderfully "If you ever think that the gospel isn't working so well for you, I invite you to step back, look at your life from a higher plane, and simplify your approach to discipleship." My Dad always taught about simplifying.  Sometimes, taking a step back, slowing down the pace, and focusing on what matters most is the most important.  What really matters most?  God should matter most.  "God will take you as you are at this very moment and begin to work with you.  All you need is a willing heart, a desire to believe, and trust in the Lord."  It is so interesting that I don't have to know how to fix my myself or what to fix about myself; I just need to have a desire to change and become like God and he will guide me in discovering myself and how to become better.

Tuesday 12/1
D&C 136:32-33, wisdom is acquired, not be our own learning, but by listening and following the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  The companionship of the Holy Ghost comes from our being humble and the best way is through diligent prayer to Heavenly Father.  Self evaluation on how to better seek the Holy Ghost.  It strikes me as being so simple, but it requires faith.

Harmony of the Gospels

Wednesday 12/2
Luke 1:1-56 I am struck at the faith of Zacharias, Elisabeth, and Mary.  It appears that Zacharias didn't have faith at first, but I feel like he had enough.  vs. 6 "They were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless."  Obedience is an act of faith.  Zacharias's experience only increased his faith, which was a blessing to him and his family.  Mary had a lot of faith vs.46 "My soul doth magnify the Lord."  Her heart was full of gratitude to God.  I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to be with child as a virgin, not being wed yet...No one would understand that that didn't have the Holy Ghost to comfort them though Mary was praising God.  Gratitude is very powerful...it might even be an act of faith at first, but then it magnifies and expands faith.  I need to focus on being grateful.

Thursday 12/3
Luke 1:57-80 The faith of Zacharias is only strengthened and he is blessed.  Immediately after he has his trial of faith, his speech is restored and he immediately praises the Lord.  vs. 72 & 78 "mercy" & "tender mercy of our God" which only increases his wisdom and faith.  God is merciful!!  I have really felt how he loves and is actively engaged in our lives.  1 Nephi 1:20 "...the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

Friday 12/4
Matt. 1:18-25: vs. 19 "...Joseph her husband, being a just man..." What does it mean to be just?  One who seeks to do right, to be kind and fair, to have integrity, one who seeks God.  One has to choose to be just; it doesn't come without work and effort and a desire to be just.  Joseph had amazing qualities.  He truly loved Mary, which I think with the customs of the Jews at that time was not common, at least at the beginning.  They were given in marriage more than they dated and courted and fell in love.  True love or charity helps one to seek the Lord.  vs. 20 "while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him."  Pondering is very powerful.  It sets the environment for the Holy Ghost.  How do I ponder?  How can my pondering be improved?  It is an act of faith...seeking to understand the Lord's will.  Joseph then had faith to act. vs. 24 "Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife."   There is faith to hear/seek God's will and then faith to act on what one has received.  I bet Joseph was persecuted for taking Mary to wife, but he did it anyway.  He had more love for God and for Mary than for the world.  Do I love God more than man?  What is most important in my life...doing good to others or doing good for myself?  Wow!  No wonder Joseph was chosen to be the earthly father to the Savior.

Saturday 12/5
Elder Von G. Keetch Blessed and Happy Are Those Who Keep the Commandments of God "Christ gave us the prospect of eternal peace, eternal joy, and eternal life."  This made me think of the scripture and subsequent hymn that says, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth Peace, good will toward men."  Why do we celebrate Christmas and what makes it so significant?  Heavenly Father gave his son as a gift to us, which ultimately allows us to receive all of God's other gifts because Christ's gift to us is the Atonement.  It is the Atonement that brings true peace, true joy and ultimately everlasting life.  What can I give back to the Lord?  To others?  I feel that this needs to happen more throughout the year.

Sunday 12/6
Luke 2:1-20 vs.7 "And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn."  The Savior was born in the most humble of circumstances.  Why is that important?  I think that it shows that the things of the world don't matter.  What is most important is the Atonement, the gospel, and family as Mary and Joseph were there.  The most wonderful miracles occur when there is humility.  vs.8-9 "shepherds abiding in the fields...the angel of the Lord came upon them"  Why did the angel only come to the shepherds? They were humble people, had enough faith to understand the events.  How can I be more like a shepherd?  vs.16 "And they came with haste"  They acted on their faith.  It isn't enough to believe, but more importantly to act.  vs. 18"And all they that heard [the sayings from the shepherds] wondered."  The people didn't have the faith and humility to understand the miracle that they had heard.  vs.19 "Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."  Mary shows tremendous faith, hope and charity here.  What is my approach to sacred things?  Do I stop and give gratitude to the Lord? Do I ask the question what more can I learn?  I get the feeling that slowing down and enjoying the good things that happen is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment