Monday, December 28, 2015

December Week 4 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture: Luke 6:37 "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven."

Tuesday 12/22
Mark 2:13-17, v. 17 "They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."  All are sick (imperfect) and have need of a physician (Savior).  If I want to be like the Savior do I pass by those that are sick and not offer assistance?  Do I call on the Savior to heal me?  In the Christmas Devotional, Sister Burton asked if when life throws it's challenges do we look more towards the Savior or farther away from him.
John 5;17-47, v.19 "The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise."  I just love this doctrine.  We can become like our Heavenly Father.  Heavenly Father wants me to be able to do what he does.  The Savior is here to make that happen.  v.21 "For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will."  Immortality is a free gift to all, though those that follow the gospel of Jesus Christ are raised up because the Savior mediates for them.  v.30 "my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."  One way to know if my judgment is good or if there is wisdom in my choices is by seeking the Lord's will in whatever is decided.  Does that make sense?  v.39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."  Searching the scriptures helps me to come unto Christ and to learn about him and come to know him personally; it can only help me to seek Christ more in my life.  How am I doing with my scripture study?  Is it consistent? Everyday? This helps me to keep my baptismal covenant to remember him always so that his spirit will always be with me.

Wednesday 12/23
Matt 12:1-21 v.12 "Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days."  How important it is to be engaged on Sunday.  It is a day of doing well.  Mark 2:23-3:12 v. JST 26 "Wherefore the Sabbath was given unto man for a day of rest; and also that man should glorify God, and not that man should not eat;"  I think of Elder Nelson's talk in April 2015 about the Sabbath.  What sign do I want to give the Lord?...That I firstly love him (ie. go to church, pray, study the scriptures, fast) and that I love my fellowman as he loves them (ie. visit and spend time with them, heal them, serve).  My fellowman includes my family and even myself.  Spending time with family is important on the Sabbath day.   Sleeping is good, not working and allowing others the opportunity to not work.  These all show love for my fellowman.  I think that the Lord wants me to be engaged on this day.  It is a day devoted to showing love. Luke 6:1-11 v.9 "Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?"

Thursday 12/24
Luke 6:12-16 v.12 "And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God."  I am so struck at how much Christ prayed to Heavenly Father.  He always went someplace alone.  When was the last time that I poured out my soul to God and really communicated with him?  How can I make my prayers more meaningful?  Thoughts-make a list of things I want to talk to Heavenly Father about, think about what I want to say, ask for the Holy Ghost to guide me, talk to him about everything (ie spill my guts).  Christ must have really come to know Heavenly Father.  He had to have faith too before he received a witness and gained knowledge. Prayer must be a major way that faith can be increased.  After that night, Christ then acted.  It is important to then act on the prayer given.

Friday 12/25
Luke 6:17-49 Luke's version of the Sermon on the Mount.  There is so much meat in the Sermon on the Mount.  A good sum up would be to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  How fitting for Christmas Day. v.35 "But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend (be generous), hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great." I love this verse.  Christ wants me to seek to do good, to think of others, to give of my time, talents, and everything that the Lord has blessed me with.  How hard sometimes to give or lend with no thought of compensation or reward for the good deeds.  It seems like love (selfless looking out to others) helps to accomplish this.  How can I seek to love others?  I feel like it is important to start where I am and the Lord will bless me. v.38 "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom."  The blessings are great for those who look to others.  I feel like this means that the right blessing will be given at the right time in the right portion. v.37 "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:"  A reminder to not be critical, but supportive of others.

Saturday 12/26
Matt 5:1-47, v.3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit" This means those who don't have pride and are humble.  3 Nephi 12:3 adds "...the poor in spirit who come unto me."  Key is to come unto Christ. v.6 "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled."  This means to do my best and where I fall short will be strengthened, made up, filled.  v.28 "Whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."  The Savior is talking about how our thoughts lead to greater sin such that how important it is to watch our thoughts.  As a man thinketh, so is he.  Our thoughts mold us into who we are.  What do I fill my mind with?  What thoughts are always on my mind?  Do I have optimistic or pessimistic thoughts?  Filling my mind with good, wholesome, optimistic thoughts will turn me into a good, wholesome, optimistic person more than I am. v.37 "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; nay, nay for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."  I like this.  It is simple and straightforward.  It is important to not beat around the bush and use less sacrasm or being indirect more than direct.  I need to work on this. v.41 "And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." I may not may not have a choice on going a mile with another but I can certainly choose to go another mile with him/her.  That is powerful to me.  It seems like this would take out the selfishness as I am looking to another. v,46 "For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?"  Interesting thought...it may be easier to love those who love us, but the growth/learning/love comes when we love those who don't love us.  It seems like miracles can happpen and the Atonement can really work in situations like this.  Example, a drunk driver kills several members of a family and the father forgives him.  Who can I love besides my family and friends?

Sunday 12/27
Elder Larry R. Lawrence What Lack I Yet? Matt 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."  I have always been bothered by this.  This commandment cannot happen by our own efforts in this life.  It can only happen with the assistance of Christ in this life and our efforts in the world to come.  Elder Lawrence refers to this as eternal progression.  Christ is admonishing us to learn and improve.  "We came to learn and improve until we gradually become santified or perfected in Christ."  The best way to learn and improve is to seek divine guidance and ask some questions: "What do I need to change? How can I improve? What weakness needs strengthening? What lack I yet?" Through prayer we can ask for answers and the Holy Ghost can then help us.  The best time to do this is during sacrament meeting.  "The Holy Ghost doesn't tell us to improve everything at once.  If He did, we would become discouraged and give up.  The Spirit works with us at our own speed, one step at a time."  I like this.  Line upon line.  Elder Bednar said, "Most of us clearly understand that the Atonement is for sinners.  I am not so sure, however, that we know and understand that the Atonement is also for saints--for good mean and women who are obedient, worthy, and conscientious and who are striving to become better."  I love the hope that this brings.  I can become better.  "Be persistent...but never be discouraged."  This is wise counsel.  The adversary tries to discourage.  It is a major tool against good people who are trying.  Never give up.  What goals can I make to improve my life?  What lack I yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment