Tuesday, December 1, 2015

November Week 4 - Samuel

Ponderize Scripture:
D&C 130: 18-19 "Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.  And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come."

Monday 11/23
Elder Neil L. Andersen Faith is Not by Chance, but by Choice "How does the Savior see your faith?" I really like this question.  Self-evaluation of how I am doing.  "The future of your faith is not by chance, but by choice."  No person or event can affect my faith, rather I choose whether to have faith or to fear.  What a fascinating idea.  "Prayer, obedience, honesty, purity of thought and deed, and unselfishness increase faith."  Recently, there have been some statements and changes from the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve that have caused some to question and some talk about those who seemingly follow the counsel blindly.  It actually isn't blind to me, but an act of faith to trust that what the prophets say is from God, to seek that out in personal prayer, study, and fasting to confirm that answer as well as living the principles, which also confirms whether it be of God or not.  Obedience is an act of faith.  "There is an adversary who delights in destroying our faith!"  Doubts and fears don't come from God no matter what.  If they come, then it is a sure knowledge that it is from the adversary.  Faith comes from God.  "Immersing oneself in pesistent doubt,fueled by answers from the faithless and the unfaithful, weakens one's faith in Jesus Christ and the Restoration."  I really like what President Monson said: "Fear not...The future is as bright as your faith."  How can I strengthen my faith?  Look to God and live!

Tuesday 11/24
D&C 130:18-19 "...if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience..."  The focus is on faith filled action, not God given talents.  I am blessed by working hard and looking to God, not by what God has given to me.  I would have to use what God has given me to bless others before I would gain greater light and knowledge.  It is always about action.  Obedience keeps coming up; there is a great power in it.  v. 21 "when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law..."  I know that blessings do come through obedience.  Sometimes those blessings are knowledge and wisdom, patience and understanding, hidden treasures...a greater desire to obey and have a peace of conscience.  I think the key to obedience is diligently obeying.  How can I better obey consistently?

Wednesday 11/25
Elder Randall K. Bennett Your Next Step "Our willingness to take a step is not just met; it is exceeded by the Lord's promised blessings...He will more than match our efforts with His power if we are willing to keep trying, repenting, and moving forward with faith in our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ."  I like that it is just effort on our part, no perfection required.  I just need to live, and in striving forward the Lord matches the efforts and multiplies my own strengths.  This is so comforting.  "Strength is given to those who keep trying."  "We fail only if we fail to take another faithful step forward."  The Atonement is key to all of this.  It gives me strength.  How can I keep this perspective?  ...and trust that in doing my best, things will work out?  Faith is so powerful!!!

Thursday 11/26
Richard G Scott Gratitude “Despite feelings of personal inadequacy, I am at peace. For the Lord has said, ‘And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them ‘ (Ether 12:27).  Pride is the key here.  With pride, men don’t come unto Christ because they don’t need him, nothing is wrong.  Coming to Christ helps one to see where they fall short, to desire to change, and to ask for help.  How well am I coming to Christ?  Do I pray, study about him, talk of him, try to be a follower, keep the commandments?  I love the Grace of God.  It is sufficient for all men, even for all of my weaknesses.  The Atonement can pick up where I fall short; nothing is impossible because of it.  I just feel such a deep gratitude and relief in that the Atonement is so enabling.  It allows me to reach the glory of God and have success on the path.

Friday 11/27
Elder M. Russell Ballard God is at the Helm “Too many people think Church leaders and members should be perfect…They forget that the Lord’s grace is sufficient.”   Perfection is a form of pride…in doing everything perfectly how would I use the Atonement or seek to be humble and follow Christ?

Saturday 11/28
D&C 132 This chapter discusses the new and everlasting covenant of marriage.  Without entering into this, we cannot be exalted and become fully like our Heavenly Father.  Vs.22 “For strait is the gate, and the narrow the way that leadeth unto exaltation and continuation of the lives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me.”  How does one not receive Christ? Caring more what men think than what God thinks, not keeping his commandments.  Does what the world thinks influence me more than what God commands?  I think sometimes it does.

Sunday 11/29
D&C 133-Preparation for the Second Coming...what does the Lord want me to do to be ready?
vs. 4 "sanctify yourselves" vs. 5 "be ye clean"  It is very important to be clean, to use the Atonement everyday and to partake of the sacrament each week.
vs. 6 "let every man call upon the name of the Lord"  Pray always
vs. 15 "let not your flight be in haste, but let all things be prepared before you; and he that goeth, let him not look back" I don't need to fear and freak out, just consistently prepare and not look back.  Looking back is a form of fear or doubt and not faith.  Faith is putting your best foot forward...obeying the commandments even when I don't know all of the reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment